Error when trying to load cubit file (Problem with Acis version)

Hi,

I am using Cubit version 2021.5.

I am saving my model geometry as .cub version. When I try to load it back in cubit I get the error message below. Would you know what is was causing this problem and how do I fix it?

Before I save the model I performed the following operations:

1. Loaded .sat surfaces
  2. Webcut volumes with the surfaces
  3. Imprint all
  4. Merge all

Thanks,
Josimar

Cubit>open "./tmp1NewTest.cub"
Geometry engine set to: ACIS Version 28.0.2.0
ERROR: ACIS API error number 73004 
ACIS API message = missing logical in restore file 
ERROR: did not read anything from the input file 'C:\Users\joa790\AppData\Local\Temp\CBT1DD.tmp'
You may be trying to read a file that is from an Acis version newer than you are using.
ERROR: Command Failed.
Cubit>

Hi Josimar,

Is there a reason you choose to save as .cub and not .cub5? Sandia wishes they had funding to move to the HDF5 based file. It is a superior format.

Before you save in the cub file, do
set geometry version
This will show you the current ACIS version being used. If it is not 2802, then do
set geometry version 2802
Save the model, and try to reopen it.

Karl

Hi @karl.

Thank you for the help. I have tried the commands that you suggested but it does not work. The exact error message is below.

Few comments:

1. The exact sequence of commands that I tried is the following. Note that the output of set geometry version is Current User-Set Geometry Version = 2802:
cubit.cmd("imprint all")
cubit.cmd("merge all")
cubit.cmd("compress")
cubit.cmd("set geometry version")
cubit.cmd("set geometry version 2802")
cubit.cmd("save as './CoreformCubit/tmpAcisTest.cub' overwrite")
  1. When I try to save my model geometry using .cub5 Coreform/Cubit 2021.5 crashes. I can’t see any error message, it closes automatically without any option. That is why I am trying to save it as .cub file.

2. It takes about 3-5 hours to arrive at the point to save my model geometry (when cubit crashes), so I am limited on what to try. If I send my complete model geometry to support@coreform.com , could you take a look at it?

3. I am happy to try anything else that you think is appropriate to fix the problem. Let me know what I can do to help.

Thank you,
Josimar

ERROR: did not read anything from the input file ‘C:\Users\joa790\AppData\Local\Temp\CBT65EE.tmp’
You may be trying to read a file that is from an Acis version newer than you are using.

Hi Josimar,

I want to know the cause of the crash. Go ahead and send me the model. Give the complete set of commands that lead to the crash.

Thanks,
Karl

Hi @karl,

Thank you for the help. Sounds good, I will send you the complete model, including all the journal files and the input surfaces.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Josimar

Hi @karl,

Just wanted to check the status of this problem. I sent all the data to support@coreform.com. Please let me know if there is anything that you need from my end.

Thanks,
Josimar

Got it. Downloaded it. Haven’t started debugging it yet. Since it sounds like a long running problem, I will run it on my Linux box while I’m doing other work on my Windows box.

Karl

Thanks @karl,

Just a quick note: I have checked that the problem also happens on Windows machines. For both linux and windows the version I tried was 2021.5.

Thanks,
Josimar

I was able to save and load with the .cub file. I did have the errors I mentioned in the private email. Does this look correct?

I will try with .cub5 next.

Karl

Yes it does!

Which version of Cubit are you using? I was using 2021.5.

Thanks,
Josimar

This is with latest to code to be released soon. I will try this with 2021.5 as well. I just emailed you a link to the cub file. Let me know if you can read it.

As a side note. I converted your script into one that I could just run from the command line. You execute it with the python version included with Cubit. The changes were pretty trivial. At the top of the file I added.

import sys
import os
sys.path.append("path_to_your_cubit_installation")
import cubit
cubit.init([])

Then you can just run something like
/opt/Coreform-Cubit-2021.5/bin/python3/python3 1_MakeModelStratigraphy_v2.py

This should give better performance than trying to run inside of Cubit with the GUI and graphics updating. I will use the GUI during initial development and then just start tweaking the script after that.

Karl

Hi @karl,

Thank you for the help with this. I can confirm that I was able to read your .cub file using Coreform Cubit 2021.5. There are also two new behaviors that I did not found before when I saved my model using version 2021.5:

1. I am able to save the same model that you sent (using save as…) in the .cub5 format without any crash or problems.

2. I am able to save the model in .cub and then read it again without any problems.

This might be an indication that the version 2021.5 might be causing the problem when saving my model, and that this problem was solved in version 2021.10 that you used.

Let me know what you find using version 2021.5.

Thanks also for the advice regarding using python and the command line.

Thanks,
Josimar

Hi @karl,

Just wanted to give you a quick update on this:

1. I opened the .cub file that you sent me by email, imported additional surfaces and then perform additional webcuts. When I try to save the model using Coreform Cubit 2021.5 I get the same error message as before:

selected filter: Cubit files (*.cub)
Cubit>open “./modeV3.cub”
ERROR: did not read anything from the input file ‘C:\Users\joa790\AppData\Local\Temp\CBT6D48.tmp’
You may be trying to read a file that is from an Acis version
newer than you are using.

1. I will send you the journal file that I created above along with the additional surfaces so that you can try it if you want.

2. I used Coreform Cubit version 2020.2 and confirmed that the error above still occurs. In this case I used the original journal file that I sent you by email.

Do you have any other ideas of how I could fix this problem? I know you mentioned that version 2021.10 will be released in the next few days, but would the current development version already have the bug fixed?

Let me know if I can do to help.

Thank you,
Josimar

You can try the latest development release at Coreform Product Downloads under “Latest Development Builds.”

Karl

Hi @karl,

Thank you for the suggestion. Quick question: did you manage to make it work with the 2021.5 version in your end? I know it worked with 2021.10, just curious whether you obtained similar results for the 2021.5.

Thanks,
Josimar

Hi Josimar,

I’m working on getting 2021.5 installed on my Fedora 33 box this morning. I’ll let you know the results.

Karl

Hi @karl,

Thanks, very much appreciated. Just a quick note that the errors that I get with the 2021.5 version occurs both on windows and linux (ubuntu) — I have tried in both.

I will install the latest development version ( Coreform-Cubit-2021.10-rc+20708_39151fb8-Lin64.rpm) and will try again.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks,
Josimar

Hi Josimar,

I just ran 2021.5 on Fedora 33 and save the .cub5 file without a crash. I was able to open that file up and get the same model as before. Is your disk low on space?

Karl

Hi @karl,

My disk is not low on space, I double checked that.

Another update:

1. I used Cubit 2021.5 on Windows and rerun the journal file that I sent you yesterday and I still get the error message above. I will send you the exact journal file along with all the input surfaces so that you can try it out if you want.

2. I am waiting on the result for Cubit 2021.10 development version.

Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Thanks,
Josimar

Hi @karl,

I sent the journal files and the input surfaces to support@coreform.com. Note that in the zip file there is a folder called CoreformCubit which contains a .cub file. This is the output from the journal file. If you try to open this file using cubit version 2021.5 you would get the error messages that I refer above.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
Josimar