URGENT! mesh function that doesn’t change geometry

Hello,

I am a PhD student at University of New Hampshire and my advisor purchased one year Cubit Coreform license recently. We were not using Cubit before and we are satisfied with it so far, but I do need a support to be a fully satisfied with meshing my model. Here is the thing: I have huge model that has very complicated microstructure. It is actually almost raw EBSD data for steel 304. We are doing crack propagation analysis and for that purpose I need to mesh a model with this tiny crack inside. Later, I’ll compare this analysis using voxel based model. In order to do it precisely, I want to have mesh that doesn’t change geometry around the model, because my analysis won’t be accurate. Please find attached picture after mesh(1&2) (I am using sculpt script that I attached too) and you’ll get the point. Picture (3) is showing cut in its original shape-straight line with no peaks. I found online one sculpt function-Capture that is still under development, even though seems like good solution, doesn’t work for me since my geometry is complex and it always runs into problems. Is there any way I can improve mesh in Cubit and get wh
sculpt_parallel1.txt (1.1 KB)
at I want?

I appreciate any advice! Thank you!

Hi @Mimi5,

Are you able to share your geometry? If you can’t post it publicly, would you be able to send it to us at support@coreform.com? If it’s too large to email, you can upload it to transfer.coreform.com and then email us the auto-generated download link.

Hi @gvernon ,
Thank you for reaching back to me.
I am not allowed to share my geometry publicly, therefore I have sent an email on support@coreform.com.

Hi Milca,

I have your files and I am looking at them. Sculpt does not capture sharp features well by nature or the algorithm. I’m trying a couple of other options to see if I can clean that up a little.

Thanks,
Karl

1 Like

Hi Karl,
Thank you for working on improving my mesh. I really appreciate it!

Please let me know if I can provide anything in addition.

Best,
Milica

Hi Karl,
Hope this message finds you well.

I just want to check how are you doing regarding improving the mesh? Please let me know if I can provide you with more info.

Thank you!

Best,
Milica

I sent a request about this to the Sandia developers and I have not heard anything back yet.

Karl