I have a fairly powerful processor. I am trying to create a volume from an ACIS topography surface (Ground surface).
I tried several options:
- First, I tried creating a simple cube and webcut with the surface. It froze my computer for several days without success.
- I tried sweeping the surface to create the volume. Again same issue.
- Finally, I tried to create the surface mesh using “Map” scheme to smooth/coursen the surface. Again the same issue.
Is there a way to create the volume from the attached topography surface and create the HEX mesh?
I would greatly appreciate your help.
Hi Hom Nath,
It is slow. This ran on my Windows box for much of an afternoon. Below, I present a solution with using a coarse mesh. Here are some notes on the solution.
- I noted is that the physical size is quite large. You can run into numerical issues when using large values. I choose to scale it by a factor of .001. That implies that material constants/loads would also have to scale appropriately.
healer analyze option showed that two curves in the sheet had topology problems. I used
healer autoheal volume 1 to fix those problems.
- Working with the complex spline surface is slow in all operations. I will research if there is anything we can do on our side to improve the performance.
body all scale .001
healer autoheal volume 1
create surface vertex 4 3 2 1
body 2 move z -400
create volume loft surface 1 2
del body 1 2
vol 3 scheme map
mesh vol 3
color curve all black
Amazing idea, Karl! I will give it a try and let you know.