Sweep Surface About Axis to create volume help

Hi,

I created a circle of radius 2, perpendicular to y-axis( so both the x and y axes are in the plane of the circle). When I tried to sweep this circle surface about either the x or z axis through some degree I get in error like Self-intersection created by profile intersecting axis or crossing center of elliptical path.

It seems to me that this (may always be) the case, then why does Trelis Pro give such option to rotate about the X,Y,or Z axis. Or am I missing something here?

The rotation about the x or z axis will only work if I used the specified axis option (in which, I have to specified a point outside the perimeter of the circle, plus an vector representing the x or z axis).

Thanks,

What type of volume you would like to create? Here are some general comments on sweeping a surface about an axis:

To sweep a surface about an axis requires that the surface not be centered on the axis you are sweeping about (in both the positive and negative quadrants of the plane). Otherwise, the volume created by a sweep would be messed up. The volume would really be two volumes intersecting at the axis.

You would need to split the circle and sweep both of the surfaces around the x axis.

circle-sweep3.jpg

The circle you created would need to be moved so that it could be swept around the x or y axis.

reset
create surface circle radius 2 zplane
surf 1 move x 2
sweep surface 1 yaxis angle 90 steps 10

circle-sweep4.jpg

Or

reset
create surface circle radius 2 zplane
surf 1 move x 4
sweep surface 1 yaxis angle 90 steps 10

circle-sweep5.jpg

If you want to create a sphere or partial sphere that is centered on an axis, you consider using the create sphere command.