Some "troubles" with Trelis

Dear csimsoft,
first of all I would like to thank you that there is a change to try trial version of your software. My colleagues told me to try Trelis since we are tring to find a replacement for our old geometry/meshing software.
I have tried Trelis for some easy tasks and I have few questions about Trelis. Would you be so kind and help me answer these questions?

1. I am not able to make a dot (simply write a dot “.”) during the process of setting Boundary Layer. In menu it is: “Mode-Mesh” -> “Entity - Boundary Layers” -> “Action - Create Boundary Layer” -> “Settings” -> “First row (a)” and “Growth Factor (b/a)”. It is simply impossible to use decimal numbers thus I have to use scientific notation. Is it a some kind of problem with my computer or is it bug caused by installation? I am Windows 7 user.

2. I have found out how to select one hidden volume/face/edge/vertex. But I am not able to select more hidden elements. I am using “Select Other…”, but when I would like to choose second object in this menu (even that I am holding CTRL) the selected object switch to the new one. Is there some way how to easily choose more hidden object and how to switch fast between overlapping objects?

3. I am used to create volumes from surfaces. But I am having hard time in here. For example: I create Brick 1 which is volume and now I create five surfaces and move them to the correct location and I am sure that edges are merged and there are no holes. When I am using “Bounding Surfaces” to create Brick 2 I select six faces, because one of them is common with Brick 1 but I get error message. I have figured it out that I have to create new face on the existing common face of Brick 1 and Brick 2 and after creating the Brick 2 I have to merg faces thus there are not two same faces in exactly same location. Is it also a problem with my PC or is it desired feature?

I hope that I have described everything well so you can understand me. I tried to find my answers in “User Documentation” but I was not successful.

Thank you for your time and answers.

Martin Novák

Hello Martin,

1. I’m not having the same experience with the dot. I’m using Trelis 16.4 on Windows 10. In the First Row and Growth Factor fields I can type 0.5 and 1.5 and it accepts the values. What happens when you type “.”?

2. One way to select these overlapping objects is to use the tab key. For example, you can click on a surface and then click the tab key to select the surface under the top surface.

3. Correct. You can use free surfaces as bounding surface to create a volume. The free surfaces become absorbed in the new volume. That is why a surface that is part of another volume cannot be used as a bounding surface. Create a copy of the surface.

reset
bri x 10
surf 1 to 6 copy move x 10
create volume surface 7 to 12 heal