Refining mesh along wall thickness of tube

Hello,

I have meshed a tube but the wall thickness is only one element thick. How do I refine it by splitting each element in two in the radial direction while keeping the rest the same?

Thanks!
/Anton

Hi @anton,

I can’t think of a straightforward way that would allow for refinements in the radial direction only (although there’s probably a fancy way one could do this with the Python API).

I’m wondering if the “Hole” meshing scheme could alternatively be an option here though? So something like this:

# Create a ring
create surface circle radius 1 zplane 
create surface circle radius 0.8 zplane 
subtract surface 2 from surface 1  

# Make the mesh
surface 3 size 0.1
surface 3 scheme hole rad_intervals 5
mesh surface 3

You can assign rad_intervals above to set the number of elements radially you’d like the mesh to have.

Have a nice day :slightly_smiling_face:

Cheers,
Pat

Hi Anton,
can you share your geometry? Your picture looks like its a Volume and not a surface that you want to refine.

Thanks @pmarty and @Norbert_Hofbauer for the help! I managed to get some more elements radially by partitioning the surface into smaller parts and assigning submap to each, while sweeping the inner surface of the tube outwards. This was a mesh-based geometry so I could not use the usual webcut and then imprint and merge approach.

/Anton