recover .cub (HDF5 error)

Hello all,

While I was working on a .cub file, I have got “HDF5 error”, which caused trelis to crash. I regularly saved the file, however, when I reopened it, nonstop errors like " HDF5 error: for edge 5644399 missing" appeared on screen for which I had to kill trelis.

So I wondered if there is any way to recover this .cub file to its last saved state. I might be able to reopen the journal files, but it could be very time consuming to redo all of previous works.

Thanks,
mbjazi

You can check the Working Directory or the directory where you are saving the original cub file to see if there is a file that looks something like “<original_filename>.cub.1” or “<original_filename>.cub.2”. This backup is created when using the “save” command. If the “save as” command was used instead, then this file might not be there. If it is there, you should be able to just open the backup file in Trelis.

Do you recall what you were doing when you got the error?

Thanks for the reply.

I already checked for backup files, but there wasn’t any in the working directory. I used both “save” and “save as”, since I regularly save major steps in meshing in different files. So, why the “save as” disables the creating of back-up files? Can we have both enabled?

I usually get the “HDF5 error” when saving, and I think it somehow relates to actions involving “group” entity. But the file is saved after getting error, and it seems ok after ward.

For the crash file, unfortunately I don’t recall what I was doing during crash. Nevertheless, the error was different than the common HDF5 error.

mbjazi

It will be enabled in both to avoid this in the future. Would you like someone to look at your .cub file?

I recovered it by using the journal files, though, some parts were ignored in the files and so I had to redo it.

Thanks