PSculpt - Smoothing Faces After Removing

Hello,

I am defining a volume using an SPN file, and using PSculpt to convert the SPN file into a hex mesh.
In the input file, I also used the void_mat option to remove certain chunks of the volume. However, after removing those chunks and meshing, the surfaces between the unremoved and removed volumes are bumpy / disfigured.

As an example, I created a rectangular prism, and used the void_mat option to remove a quadrant of the rectangular prism. After meshing, I get the following result, in which it can be seen that the corner of the quadrant is curved and sunken in.

As another example, I did a similar thing with a microstructure mesh. As shown below, the surface between the unremoved and removed volumes have small bumps across it.

Is there a way to smooth these surfaces / faces so that they are treated like outer surfaces? Additionally, can this be done in PSculpt? I realise that the capture option exists, but it only works with STL files, and not SPN files.

The sculpt method calculates volume fractions. In general, this does not capture hard curves of surfaces perfectly. You can get better results with a finer mesh but you will likely always have a little bit of variation from planar.

I have done very little with the SPN input. I will ask the Sculpt developer if he has any suggestions, but it may very well be a limitation of the algorithm.

Thanks,
Karl

I see. Thanks for the response :slight_smile: