My attempts at beam bending in Coreform Prep

Today I managed to setup and run a simple beam-bending case (beamBending.json (7.9 KB)) and thought I’d share my results and some thoughts.

F98C76D8-AB7D-42B6-A2F6-FDA01AA3DCD0

Note that I made use of the useful selection feature to select the regions where I applied load and boundary conditions:

And then I referred to these selection sets in the subdomain_elems cards like so:

As a note, I was unable to use load_type = pressure. The simulation would run, but wouldn’t actually apply any loads. Changing the load_type to force is what yielded these results. Should pressure have worked in this case?

I ran this simulation with uniform degree 3 basis, but varied the smoothness of the interfaces from C0 - C2 to observe the effect on the post-processed VonMises values taken from a 0.1x0.1 offset from the centerline in the reference configuration. Notice in the chart below how the C0 simulation shows discontinuous jumps in the stress at the interfaces; the C1 simulation is continuous, but shows kinks at the interfaces; the C2 simulation shows a smooth stress value.

I’ll keep tinkering with this, and I’ve not yet validated/verified any of the results, but I thought I’d share my status!

Greg, this is a historic day - I think this may be the first time I’ve seen results generated externally in our software! Thanks for sharing.