Meshing issue after imprinting and merging

Hello all,

I am trying to create a mesh for some simulations I need to run. I am running into some issues. I basically have two domains. I have a domain represented by a geometry for heart tissue, and another domain for blood “bath” represented by a different geometries. Both geometries are stl’s and both are basically generated by the same surface geometry (one is extruded into one direction and the other is extruded into the other direction so the volumes match at the inner surface which is the original surface stl). When loading it into cubit, I am able to mesh those geometries individually using tetmesh scheme with no problems. The thing is that I need to have one mesh with both the tissue and the bath together and connected, so I am trying to imprint and merge the stl’s first and then mesh them both. I am getting an error which I am not sure how to fix. I am attaching the screenshot. I don’t get an error when imprinting and merging but it says something about error in inserting a node at different locations. Any guidance will be appreciated. Thank you!

Hi,

The error that you are seeing is coming from the tetmesher. You likely have small curves or surfaces in the geometry that is causing issues. You might be able to find those issues with the Geometry Power Tool. On the bottom left hand corner, click on Power Tools. Click on the tab for “Diagnose Geometry.” Then click on the Analyze button.

This will show a list of small surfaces in the model. You can try to use the composite command to combine the small surfaces with adjacent larger surfaces. This is doable but very tedious in Cubit. I would recommend trying to fix the geometry in the source system first.

Thanks,
Karl