Mesh Refinement in one direction only throughout the body

Hi,

I have a body that I will want to refine and/or coarsening the mesh in only a certain directions (lets say in the Global X and Y directions, but not the z-out of plane direction) see attached image 1 and 2. I used the mesh scaling feature, but it refine the body into all three direction.

I can accomplish what I need by mesh scaling then extract mesh sheet to make the mesh out-of-plane to be one; but I am not sure how to access the caution sign of using extract mesh sheet feature.

Is there any other way to go about this?

Thanks,
Capture4.JPG
Capture3.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture1.JPG

Xlao,

Would an approach like this work?

reset
brick x 10 y 10 z 0.1
volume 1 copy move y 10
merge all
volume all size 1
mesh volume all
refine volume all using surface 7 depth 2

–Corey

Hi,

This will work to some extent, but is there a way to control the size of the element on the surface 7. For example, lets say I want to refine the original mesh (the example you’d posted) from length 1 to .5. How do I do that? As it is now, the refinement process you’d suggested split one element into 3 element, thus, each element is now .333.

Thanks,

Xlao,

The documentation on refinement talks about uniform vs. non-uniform refinement. In your case, you want non-uniform refinement because you are not refining in all three directions. So in this case, Trelis splits the edges twice (one edge into three edges). If you want to get a desired edge size after refinement, you will want to size the original mesh appropriately so that when you do refine, you will get the desired size. For example, if I want a size close to 0.5 in the x and y direction, I would so something like this:

reset
brick x 10 y 10 z 0.1
volume 1 copy move y 10
merge all
volume all size 1.5
mesh volume all
refine volume all using surface 7 depth 2

–Corey