Mesh Quality: "Dimension" Definition

Hi,

What is the mesh quality dimension? The definition says, “Pronto-specific characteristic length for stable timestep calculation. Char = Volume / 2 grad Volume.” I’m assuming that Volume is volume for cell i and if that’s the case then what is 2 grad Volume? I looked at the reference provided, Taylor, L. M. and D. P. Flanagan (1989), but was unable to find the definition.

Pronto (aka Pronto3D) was an explicit structural mechanics code developed by Sandia. It eventually became Presto, which was itself absorbed into Sandia’s Sierra/Solid-Mechanics code (search www.osti.gov for details). Here is an updated link to the Pronto3D reference from OSTI. The relevant portion is section 3.5, beginning with equation 3.47 through 3.52:

Additional notes
Verdict is a mesh-quality library that was originally developed at Sandia and was/is used as Cubit’s mesh quality tool. Verdict was later open-sourced, given to the VTK repository (owned by KitWare).

Here is a link to the Verdict library reference manual which includes this “documentation” of the Dimension metric:

Additionally, you can search the VTK repository for the function v_hex_dimension for the source. Here is a link to the current location in the nightly build.

Awesome thank you. This all helped immensely, especially looking at the code. I also found additional resources on this with Gao et al. 2017 “Evaluating Hex-mesh Quality Metric via Correlation”.

1 Like