License activation window does not occur when launching software after installation

Hello, I just registered in order to be able to use the educational license and downloaded the latest Coreform Cubit release. After installation and starting the software, only a short notice of “License checking…” does occur and the software closes, the license registration window does not occur. How can I register the license ?

What operating system are you on? Has Cubit ever been used on that machine before?

Hello, thanks for asking. The operating system is Windows 10. It is the first installation of the Cubit software. I’ll need it for a practical lecture in multiphysical systems. Today I logged in to the account again, checked the “activated” license there, deinstalled the installation from the day before, redownloaded the newest Windows release (11-2022), installed and started - but the same issue again. The colorful starting screen shortly appears, a small text with “License checking…” and then - unfortunately - it closes. Is there maybe another way to invoke the license activation window (e.g. from console window etc.) ?

This is likely not a licensing issue, but a problem with conflicting libraries from another scientific computing software that’s present in the PATH environment variable.

Do this for me: open a cmd prompt, and execute the following commands.

cd "C:\Program Files\Coreform Cubit 2022.11\bin"
set CUBIT_VERBOSE=5
coreform_cubit.exe > %USERPROFILE%\cubit_output.txt

This will dump a bunch of output to a file called “cubit_output.txt” in your C:/Users/<username> folder. Please attach that file here.

Hello, I created the file, using drag & drop created the below item; ideally this is the file incl. its content:

cubit_output.txt (2.0 KB)

Huh, there wasn’t a library mismatch there like I expected. You can activate your license from the command line with the rlm_activate.exe utility. If you double click on it, it should show the activation dialog. If that doesn’t work, you can run it from cmd by doing the following:

cd "C:\Program Files\Coreform Cubit 2022.11\bin"
rlm_activate.exe activate <Product Key> <hostname>

where the Product Key comes from Coreform - My Account and the hostname is a name you choose to identify your computer.

Thanks for the further help. I could now open the window and clicked on the icon to use the learn license; then I used the login account and the software confirmed that the login succeeded and requested to click close (no other option) and the rlm_activate app closed. When then trying to start the application (from the start menu) it is, unfortunately, again the same problem as before.
I’d want to use alternatively the other option with the product key and the host name but I cannot find any product key on the account pages, neither under “profile” nor under “my licenses” or other subpages, just e.g. name/quantity/type/maintenance/expiration. Or is the product key more simple e.g. as “educational” etc. ? But I cannot find a hint what it might be.

Oh right, sorry, I forgot you were using Cubit Learn. You would use rlm_activate --login <email> <password> to use the educational login.
Logging in from the dialog should have gotten you your license, it’s concerning to me that the Cubit window isn’t showing. Please do what you did before to regenerate cubit_output.txt and send that to me again.
Also, let’s try this: in a new cmd prompt, enter these commands:

cd "C:\Program Files\Coreform Cubit 2022.11"
set CUBIT_VERBOSE=5
coreform_cubit.com -nog -prompt Cubit

This should load you up in to a Cubit prompt without the user interface entirely. If it doesn’t, please copy and paste the entire cmd output here.

Hello,

1. the rlm_activate app showed again a successful login, this time as console output
  2. cubit_output_2.txt created with the earlier described procedure, see attached
  3. coreform_cubit.com run, did not succeed, I’ve created a copy of the console output (attached)
    cubit_output_2.txt (2.0 KB)
    cubit_prompt_trial.txt (3.3 KB)

Oh you know what, I wonder if the issue is with your username: C:/Users/S├Âren Schackert. We might be breaking somewhere on those Unicode characters. Can you try activating again under a username without those special characters?

It was very easy to change the user name in Windows (oe instead of ö) and I restarted the computer. Unfortunately the folder name was not changed. I’m the only user on the computer and my user is connected to a Microsoft account. I may be adding a test user without MS account etc… for the Cubit testing, hopefully it will not be too messy; will try now.
P.S.: In case you know if the user folder can be changed please let me know. To be honest I also wonder if this is really the reason, having the computer now for more than 2 years.

Hello, I created a test user based on ASCII characters and the Cubit application successfully started after license registration. I have to excuse, the user folder name was indeed the reason. As short term solution I can switch the user when using the Cubit application. Medium term I’ll probably change my user name to just small ASCII characters and no space, for safety.
Thanks a lot for all your help in order to solve the application launch issue.

To be clear, this is a bug on our end, we should handle Unicode characters correctly in our application and we don’t. I’ll put in a ticket to get this fixed. Glad you found a workaround in the meantime.

That’s great, I’ll have a look at the bug fixes list at the next Windows release(s) of Cubit and would install the new release in case.

Hello scot and Coreform Cubit team,

I’m still using the version 11-2022 up to now for which I need to login as another user where the name does not contain non-ASCII characters.

Even though I’m much impressed of the capabilities of your software, the required additional Windows user session is a bit uncomfortable (I’m not using the tool so often but in the next months maybe again more frequently).

Could this Unicode user name issue be fixed, meanwhile ? In that case I’d install the newest release then.

Thanks a lot for a short reply.

Hello @schackert,

We’re still tracking this bug on our end, no fix yet. We’ll be sure to let you know as soon as we do!