Issues with opening Trelis files in Cubit

Hello,

Our group started by using Trelis 16.0, but have since transitioned to using Cubit 15.2. No matter what I try, I cannot get any of our Trelis files to open in Cubit and still preserve group information. I have tried all the following with little to no success:

1. In Trelis, save the file with .cub extension. When I try to open the .cub file in Cubit, I get this error “File unrecognized format error occurred.”

2. In Trelis, export the file to a cubit format with the .cub extension. In Cubit, I have tried to both “open” and “import” this file, and both attempts gave me the same error “File unrecognized format error occurred.”

3. I have also tried to take an intermediate step by exporting my Trelis file to ACIS .sat format, and reimporting that .sat file into Cubit. I can import the geometry, but none of my groups that I created in Trelis appear when I import. I make sure to always “import/export attributes” and I have played around with setting different ACIS versions when exporting. Nothing has preserved my groups when importing into Cubit.

Issues #1 and #2 above probably have to do with how Trelis is writing files with the .cub extension. These errors seem like they must be a bug in Trelis since the option is given to write to a .cub file. I cannot tell if #3 has to do with an error in Trelis export or Cubit import.

If anyone knows a short term solution to getting Trelis files to open in Cubit, the help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kalin

Changing the Save As file type to Cubit .cub in the Save As dialog should change the file format to Cubit. However, it is not currently doing that, but saving it as a Trelis HDF5 file with a .cub extension. Until this is fixed, you can use the following command:

set hdf5_cub_file off

Now when you use either Trelis or Cubit as the Save As file type, it will save it as a Cubit .cub file.

Thanks for pointing this out.