Issue with imprinting facet surfaces

Hello, I attempting to use Cubit to mesh a series of grains that I currently have .stl files for. Before meshing the volumes, I need to combine the shared surfaces that occur at grain boundaries. I had some success using the imprint/merge features to merge the overlapping surfaces at each grain boundary, but this process did not work on some surfaces. When I used the find overlap command, Cubit identified that there was an overlapping surface, but using the merge command did not consolidate any surfaces, only curves. I am happy to provide pictures if that would be helpful.
Thank you,
Ben

Welcome @bbbates!

There is a command in Cubit to remove overlap between two volumes.

You can find overlap using the find overlap function.

Thank you for the reply. I tried using the remove overlap command, but this only resulted in the deletion of one of the volumes. Am I applying the command incorrectly? I used the command “remove overlap volume 1 2 modify volume 2”, and this seems to have just deleted volume 1, while leaving volume 2 unchanged.

I have also tried the imprint mesh command after meshing the surfaces from facets. This gave the result I wanted of two separate volumes bounded by two surfaces each, one that they share and another that surrounds the rest of the volume. However, these surfaces are virtual geometry and I have been unable to mesh them. For clarity, here is a picture of the volumes. Surface 3 is the shared boundary between them.