Incorrect step import

Hi everyone,

I’m having a strange issue where when I import a step file into Cubit, one of the surfaces is unrecognizably wrong. I’ve tried with autoheal on, and with autoheal off. This has happened to me with several (albeit, similar) files, all of which have worked properly in the other uses I’ve had for them. I’ve attached an image of how the step files is meant to behave, and one of what happens in Cubit.

I’m really at a loss as to how to how to troubleshoot this, so any advice would really be appreciated! If it’s useful, I can also attach the file.
Thank you,
Eleanor

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 5.05.03 PM

Hi Eleanor,

Welcome to the forum! I’m not sure what is going on with this model. Can you share the STEP file with us? What is the original source of the model?

Thanks,
Karl

Here’s the file: breeder1.step (796.9 KB)
We generated it using CadQuery.

Thank you!

You should also mention the un-believable import time for me its taken more than 5 mins to get to 50%, gmsh loaded it in fractions of a second!

1 Like

Hi Eleanor,

I’m not sure why the extra surface gets created. However, we can clean it up pretty easily. You can go into surface select mode, select the spurious surface, right click and select “Remove” at the bottom of the menu.

You can also type the command, remove surface 1

The tetmesh is pretty easy.

volume 1 scheme tetmesh
volume 1 size 1000
mesh volume 1

The hex mesh is problematic. The geometry is still unstable when I try to webcut this geometry.

I will work with our geometry engine partner and see if I can resolve that.

Thanks,
Karl

Hi Karl,

Thank you for looking into this! Unfortunately, this approach won’t quite work because the issue (at least, on my device) is not an extra surface getting created, but one of the surfaces being incorrect. I expect two very similar, concentric surfaces from this model, and instead I get one correct one, and then the very wonky one.

For my current uses, I don’t need to hex mesh or webcut this geometry, though I appreciate your offer to look into that.

Thank you,
Eleanor

Hi Eleanor,

Can I share this model with our geometry partner?

Thanks,
Karl

Hi Karl,

If I may ask, who is your geometry partner?

Thanks for helping us work through this,
Eleanor

Hi Eleanor,

Our geometry partner is Dassault Systemes Spatial. They develop the ACIS geometry kernel that lies at the heart of Cubit. They also provide the CAD translation utility that we use to import non-ACIS geometries, such as STEP, into Cubit.

Ditto! I’ve had this same experience comparing the two.

Just reproduced this over here. That is bizarre, hopefully helps make it more obvious to uncover the issue.

Okay great, sharing with them is fine! We just wanted to know who’d be seeing it.
Thank you,
Eleanor

Eleanor, I just tried importing your file into Rhino3d, then exporting a .sat file. This .sat file seems to open just fine in Cubit. Does this look good on your end?
test.sat (1.9 MB)

@ewinkler,

What is the result that you want? This process creates two sheet bodies (surfaces) in Cubit. The outer sheet body is not closed. The curves on the XY plane of the outer shell are duplicated. Do you want two volumes? Maybe one volume enclosed by the inner surface and the outer volume occupying the space between the two shells? What is your target analysis with this model?

Thanks,
Karl

As far as I can tell, the above picture looks correct; I expected to get two very similar surfaces, and one volume between them. The outer surface not being closed is a bit concerning—I’ll download Rhino3d and see if this works on my end, or if that’ll cause issues. Thank you so much for trying things to figure this out!

Hi Karl,

Yep, I tried, and while it looked good on the outside, you were right about some of the issues. I’m looking for one volume enclosed by the inner surface and outer volume, occupying the space between the two shells. Alas.

Thank you,
Eleanor

Hi Eleanor,

I heard back from Spatial-Dassault. They essentially acknowledged that there is a problem and they investigating it.

Karl

One thought, is it possible to crack the volume into halves or quarters in the CAD modeler before exporting it? Breaking up those complex surfaces might help with the translation.

Karl

Hi Karl,

We’ve attempted with the volume sliced in half, but to no avail, I’m afraid. Do you think it would be helpful to try with quarters?

Thanks,
Eleanor

Eleanor,
That would be helpful, any cut that turns this into a collection of non-periodic objects would be something worth trying.

Matt