Imprinting/Merging two different geometries issue since the connection is only happening in one vertex instead of a whole surface

Hello all,

Long story short, I am trying to take two different geometries and basically imprint/merge and mesh them together to create a conforming mesh but to keep them in different blocks so that in a FEM solver I have I can specify the subdomains based on the blocks. I am attaching a screenshot to this post. It should all be working, and I don’t necessarily get errors, but when I do this I get 0 surfaces consolidated and only two vertices being consolidated, which tells me that it is only connecting the two meshes at a single point basically. When running some reaction-diffusion equations in the solver, I confirm that this is what’s going on. I am starting propagation in the upper geometry hoping that it will also propagate the bottom one; you can see in the screenshot that the propagation front goes all the way in the top geometry but it gets to the corners and it tries propagating to the bottom geometry (so that is where the only connection is happening, while it should be across all the bottom surface of the top geometry and the top surface of the bottom geometry). I am not sure how I can fix this. I tried meshing them separately and them imprinting the volumes and merging, imprinting the surfaces and merging, but I still haven’t gotten it to work. My guess is that somehow when trying to put both geometries together it is only detecting one vertex where that is possible; I also was getting an error saying that there were overlapping surfaces, even after I had already imprinted/merged. Any help and guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Josue

Hi Josue,

Can you share your model with us? If the adjacent STL surfaces have different topologies that could create a problem. Cubit does not currently support the imprint operation on STL geometry. That operation is used to make surface topologies align. The surfaces cannot be merged if the curves on the surfaces don’t lineup.

Thanks,
Karl

Thanks so much for your response, Karl! Really appreciate it! I am attaching both STL models in this zip file. I think in one of the methods I tried to use I did get an error saying that both volumes had “higher order topology.” But the weird thing is, that both geometries were created by extruding a surface mesh in blender to produced volumes in the shape of the surface mesh; one was extruded “upwards” and the other one “downwards” so the curves should be aligned. Is there a way that maybe then, in case for some reason they are not aligned, I can modify one of the surfaces to line up with the other one (i. e. doing some cuts) and then imprint/merge? Maybe some boolean operation? After they are merged, I could assign one of the volumes to a block and the other volume to another block to be able to specify domains in my FEM solver. Thanks so much in advance for the help and for sharing your thoughts!

Josue

bothGeometries.zip (291.1 KB)

Hi Josue,

The issue is that the using the default feature angle on import, you get a surface that looks like this image.

If I bump the feature angle up to 155 degrees, in the import dialog as shown below I get the surfaces separated correctly.

Merging works properly at that point and I can mesh the volumes with a conformal mesh.

Thanks,
Karl

Thanks Karl! I actually just tried it and it worked just like you said. Really appreciate the help! Hope you have a great rest of your day.

Josue