Importing Cubit's Python API in a Jupyter Notebook

Hi all,
I’ve been trying to use the Python Cubit API in a Jupyter Notebook to write interactive tutorials for trainees. I am working on a Ubuntu 20.04 machine and Cubit 2023.11 is installed, and importing Cubit in a Python script or in a Python terminal works fine.

When trying to import Cubit in a Jupyter notebook I get the following error:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ImportError                               Traceback (most recent call last)
Cell In[1], line 1
----> 1 import cubit

File /opt/Coreform-Cubit-2023.11/bin/cubit.py:44
     42   from cubit2 import *
     43 else:
---> 44   from cubit3 import *

File /opt/Coreform-Cubit-2023.11/bin/cubit3.py:12
     10     from . import _cubit3
     11 else:
---> 12     import _cubit3
     14 try:
     15     import builtins as __builtin__

ImportError: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.30' not found (required by /opt/Coreform-Cubit-2023.11/bin/libcubit_util.so)

I checked the shared libraries that the Cubit .so file depends from the notebook on and everything seems fine and the paths are correctly found, so I don’t think it’s an environment variable related issue.

Could it be that Jupyter relies on the system-wide installation of libstdc++ and cubit tries to use it instead of the specific /opt/Coreform-Cubit-2023.11/bin/./libstdc++.so.6, causing a version issue with GLIBCXX ?

Has anyone tried importing Cubit in a jupyter notebook before? Any feedback would be very welcome!

Thanks,
Nicolas

It is a version issue, yes. I don’t know much about Jupyter, but isn’t it just Python with extra bells and whistles? It’s odd that things work from Python and not Jupyter. Is Jupyter using the same Python interpreter that you were testing before?