How to get rid of small features after webcutting and blunt tangency

A small geometry and a simple journal file can be found in the following link. I’m trying to webcut volume 1 by using a surface going through curves 1 and 15. You can see that I created a surface using skin curves and cut the volume, but there are two small features after the cut. Can you remove these small features easily? The actual surface connecting curves 1 and 15 can be modified slightly to avoid generating these small features (the curves 1 and 15 shouldn’t change), but I don’t know how to do it. For example, the surface can be made slightly steeper around curve 15. Also, you can see the top volume after the cut is really sharp along the original curve 15. Is there a way to make the angles along the curve larger?

Thanks so much in advance.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1T0avkurn4TNtS5t7954bBEBQjCiJnIbv?usp=sharing

When I built this geometry into a larger model the creation of surface using skin curves failed . Here’s an error message. Is there a good way of cutting this volume? Hope to resolve this soon. Thanks.

Hi,

To answer your first question, yes you can remove the small features, but it is a bit of a pain because of the complex spline surface on the top.

My question to you is, do you really want to do that webcut? You are introducing a very sharp tangency and you will never be able to create quality elements in that tangency. It is not a Cubit limitation; it is a mathematical limitation. The small areas that are created are separated by less than 1e-12 units. The operation decided that there is a no volume in those regions, so no volume was created. Working around the problem will create a non-manifold volume that the tetmesher will likely complain about and fail to mesh.

If you really want to create to get rid of those small surfaces you can do something like the following.
Surface/Create/Copy the small surfaces in volume 1.
Surface/Modify/Remove to remove the surfaces from volume 1
Unite volume 3 with the copied sheet bodies
Surface/Modify/Composite/Create to eliminate the curves in the top and bottom surfaces.

On your second problem, can you send me the curves you are trying to skin? The error message is pretty clear. You can’t skin curves that intersect although the endpoints can be shared. You shouldn’t have to reverse a curve, but you can use the Curve/Modify/Sense option to reverse the curve direction and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Karl

Yes, I need to cut this volume. I tried so many different ways without success, but finally found a simple way to do it. I created a new curve by shifting curve 15 along a 15° angle to the lower left, and then was able to create two skin surfaces and do the webcut. The following is my journal file, but the problem is that the two skin surfaces are not smooth; you can clearly see some corrugations (lines) radiating from some points on the two original curves. Is there a way to fix this or you know a way of creating a smooth surface? These non-smooth surfaces are not usable in my project.

Thanks so much.

reset

import acis “tmp2.sat”

curve 15 copy move x {-5cos(15PI/180)} y 0 z {-5sin(15PI/180)}

create surface skin curve 1 16
create surface skin curve 15 16

webcut volume 1 sweep surface 8 9 vector 0 0 1 through_all