Help in HEX meshing complex geometry

sample.cub5 (1.3 MB)

Hello,
I am having some trouble HEX meshing this STL geometry. I had some success cutting and meshing certain parts of it after turning on the developer tools, but I was unable to create the full HEX mesh and Cubit would sometimes crash. I am wondering if there is a better, more robust approach. Thanks.

– Charles

Hi Charles,

Do you have any example files you can attach?

Hi Jessica,
I did attach .cub file with the imported STL. Are you able to see that?
I was unable to attach an STL file for some reason.

– Charles

for what it is worth, I managed to create and ACIS geometry in SolidWorks. It seems even more difficult to mesh. I am happy to send it if you want to use it. It is too large to upload.

Hi,

For this type of biologic geometry, I would recommend trying the Parallel Sculpt method. The mesh shown below has < 100K elements with all positive jacobian elements. I used the option to create sidesets from every geometric face.

You do lose the sharp edges, but you can generate the mesh in seconds. The command line to generate this model is:

sculpt parallel volume all size 0.25 gen_sidesets 3 

Frequently, the process of creating a solid model from this type of geometry creates many triangular surfaces. As you mentioned, that just makes the process more difficult.

Does the sculpt model work for you?
Karl

Karl, many thanks for this!

I do need the sharp edges because I want to use the annuli at the ends of the tubes for sideset and nodeset definitions. Is is possible to mesh part without the sharp edges using parallel sculpt and then mesh the portions with sharp edges differently, but in a way that conforms with the parallel sculpt mesh?