Guidance on how to launch Coreform_Cubit using MobaXterm

Cubit Version: 2021.5
Platform: Ubuntu 20.04

Xlib error: extension “MIT-SHM” missing on display…

Guidance on how to launch Coreform_Cubit using MobaXterm

Dear Community,

I seem to be unable to launch coreform_cubit using WSL-Ubuntu-20.04 on my Windows PC. I was successful a few weeks back by initializing a WSL-Ubuntu-20.04 server through mobaxterm and typing coreform_cubit. Now after repeating the same procedure I repeatedly get this error (with a black screen produced by the x server):

Xlib: extension “MIT-SHM” missing on display “172.24.160.1:0”.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Best regards,
Nikos.

MIT-SHM is a shared memory extension for X11, and it probably won’t work correctly in WSL. Cubit doesn’t rely on MIT-SHM explicitly, but you may have that extension turned on in your WSL installation. We don’t support the GUI in Cubit in WSL because Microsoft doesn’t explicitly support GUI applications in WSL yet. You can either run without the GUI with the -nographics -prompt Cubit command line options, or you can install the Windows version of Cubit.

Hello,

here is an update, for a mysterious reason it works fine, i.e. the x server displays Cubit’s GUI with no issues when I try to launch it from the Ubuntu 20.04 app instead of the MobaXterm terminal (screenshot attached)…

The reason I launch Cubit in WSL is because of some plugins that I need that are available in Ubuntu, otherwise I would follow your advice and use the windows version instead.

Best regards,
Nikos.

1 Like

Out of curiosity @Nikos, what version of WSL are you running? WSL 1 or WSL 2? To check, run

wsl -l -v

in a Powershell terminal, should print out information with a column for Version:

PS C:\Users\Owner> wsl -l -v
  NAME            STATE           VERSION
* Ubuntu-20.04    Running         2
  Ubuntu          Stopped         2

Hi @gvernon,

I am running WSL 2 (screenshot attached).

ubuntu_version