Error when exporting mesh to Abaqus

Anyone have an idea as to why I might get this error?

Cubit> export abaqus < file.inp > group < volume # > overwrite
ERROR: No entity with ID < volume # > was found
ERROR: Specified groups not found…
ERROR: Could not export the data to a file.

I have 3 meshed volumes (imported as *.sat files) but can only export one of them. I receive the above message when trying to export the other two.

Any help would definitely be appreciated.

Cheers!

RP

Is there a specific reason you are specifying the group parameter in the export command?
Are the volumes part of a group?
Are each of the volumes separate materials? Did you specify blocks for each material region?

Hi Karl,

I incorrectly assumed the group ID was a required part of the export. Each volume will have a different material property. After specifying block IDs for each volume I was able to export the meshes independently by their respective block IDs. However, I have not had success exporting the merged model with the following workflow:

import (import each *.sat file independently)
block 1 vol 1
block 2 vol 2
block 3 vol 3
node 1 vol 1
node 2 vol 2
node 3 vol 3
compress all
imprint all
merge all
volume all scheme TetMesh
volume all size auto factor 10 propagate
mesh volume all
export all (ERROR: invalid number of dimensions requested for mesh output: 0)
When I export trying to use block IDs 1 2 & 3 and node IDs 1 2 & 3, I receive the same error.

I would ultimately like to export an imprinted, merged model with element and node sets that show up as distinct part sets in Abaqus 2021. Any thoughts on workflow adjustments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

RP

Nodesets are typically used for applying loads. Do you want to reference the set of nodes in each volume in Abaqus?

After the mesh step try just doing the default export from the GUI. It should generate a command similar to

export abaqus "model.inp" everything

There could be an overwrite option in there if you are overwriting an existing model.

I use the GUI and select “all” for exporting in an attempt to export a merged model, but receive the same message. But the command using the GUI does have “overwrite” and “everything” at the end of the command. Just not sure why it is not exporting the merged model.

As for node and element sets, at this point I export each part separately (no merge command) and import the *.inp into Abaqus. I assign element and node sets to each region in Abaqus and then merge the model in Abaqus. This way I can assign material properties to the elements and loads to the nodes; namely rotational displacement of the top part (bone). I was hoping to have Cubit handle the merging, element and node sets, but have not had much luck so far.

Are you getting any errors during the earlier stages? Try doing a draw tet all and verify that the tets exist in all the volumes.