Error on exporting DAGMC

Hi,
I’m trying to use export dagmc from the svallin plugin on MacOS 11.4 using Cubit 2021.5. I have a simple model imported from STEP that has only about 5k faces.

I’ve followed the directions here (Producing solid models for DAGMC using Cubit — DAGMC) but on the export command the application closes and produces an error report. The error report is lengthy, but I’ve tried to excerpt it below:

Application Specific Information:
Assertion failed: (0), function serial_create_file, file /Users/runner/work/Cubit-plugin/moab/moab/src/io/WriteHDF5.cpp, line 2497.

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x00007fff2053b92e __pthread_kill + 10
1 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff2056a5bd pthread_kill + 263
2 libsystem_c.dylib 0x00007fff204bf411 abort + 120
3 libsystem_c.dylib 0x00007fff204be7e8 __assert_rtn + 314
4 libsvalinn_plugin.so 0x0000000151ba0e3d moab::WriteHDF5::serial_create_file(char const*, bool, std::__1::vector<std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits, std::__1::allocator >, std::__1::allocator<std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits, std::__1::allocator > > > const&, moab::TagInfo* const*, int, int) + 653
5 libsvalinn_plugin.so 0x0000000151b9e6dd moab::WriteHDF5::write_file_impl(char const*, bool, moab::FileOptions const&, unsigned long const*, int, std::__1::vector<std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits, std::__1::allocator >, std::__1::allocator<std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits, std::__1::allocator > > > const&, moab::TagInfo* const*, int, int) + 2493
6 libsvalinn_plugin.so 0x0000000151b9d9a4 moab::WriteHDF5::write_file(char const*, bool, moab::FileOptions const&, unsigned long const*, int, std::__1::vector<std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits, std::__1::allocator >, std::__1::allocator<std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits, std::__1::allocator > > > const&, moab::TagInfo* const*, int, int) + 564
7 libsvalinn_plugin.so 0x00000001516e96ea moab::Core::write_file(char const*, char const*, char const*, moab::Range const&, moab::TagInfo* const*, int) + 1594
8 libsvalinn_plugin.so 0x00000001516e8fa8 moab::Core::write_file(char const*, char const*, char const*, unsigned long const*, int, moab::TagInfo* const*, int) + 248
9 libsvalinn_plugin.so 0x00000001514360db DAGMCExportCommand::execute(CubitCommandData&) + 3691

I’d appreciate any help or insight you may have.

The crash originates from MOAB ( MOAB : a mesh-oriented database. (Technical Report) | OSTI.GOV). While I am one of the authors, someone else long ago took over the maintenance of the open source. This is not part of Cubit.

I have no knowledge of DAGMC or how it works. But, looking at the backtrace, I would suggest looking at the command that you used to export the HDF5 file. Did you put quotes where required in the command? Do you have write privilege to the directory you are trying to save to? Those are just a couple of basic suggestions to get you started.

You could try contacting the DAGMC people to see if they have any more concrete suggestions.

Also, when you report a bug, providing a small example that replicates the problem will be more likely to get you a useful reply.

Best wishes,
Karl

Thanks @karl, I’ll ask the DAGMC folks.

For the future, what constitutes a minimum viable example in this case? Would I provide a STEP file along with the cubit command line code, or just the command history?

Yes. This is just good bug reporting for any software. If you can simplify the problem to a specific thing and even simplify inputs where possible (in this case a minimal STEP file), it really helps with debugging.

For Cubit, the commands and a STEP file are really helpful.

Thanks!
Karl