Error in imprint mesh for a large number of imprint elements

I am working on a rather complicate and modular model where several hollow cells are merged into a surrounding volume (some of them are visible in the figure 1). When I increase the number of cells after a certain threshold value I start getting errors with the command imprint mesh volume. The error are usually of this type.
Command: imprint mesh volume 534 with 1
ERROR: /Users/andrea/Dropbox/11x11/3Dresonators_testing.py (277)
Creation of curves from mesh edges failed.
Error imprinting surface 10199
Errors in mesh imprint

Furthermore I see that some surfaces are not imprinted or merged despite having the same topology (this can be seen from the figure 2 and figure 3).
I have prepared a test script (sorry, it still looks quite long) that does what it’s necessary to get the error. Did anyone encounter a similar issue with mesh imprint? any solution to try?
3Dresonators_testing.py (10.3 KB)
figure3.jpg
figure2.jpg
figure1.jpg

It looks like imprint mesh is an alpha feature developed back in 2002, but not released. Here is the description:

The command “imprint mesh {body|volume} <id_list>” will search
for imprint locations based on COINCIDENT mesh entities, and
will imprint using virtual geometry.

Try imprint mesh vol 543 1

I am getting back to this problem after some months of tests. The suggested command imprint mesh vol 543 1 does not seem to solve the issue and lead to the same erratic behaviour. The command is much faster when launching trelis from the terminal without the graphic support. This however makes difficult to spot where imprint and merge failed.

Is there any plan to release a final version of this command? For large models made of periodic arrangement of cells with complex geometries this command is excellent as it allows to precisely control the mesh refinement and the hex quality. Not sure how could I achieve the same with any other approach.
Best