Error exporting Exodus file

I am new to using Cubit and running into some issues when exporting my mesh to an exodus file. Trying to run it in BISON, the solver does not converge, and when I re-imported the exodus mesh file it threw the error “WARNING: (RefEdge::initialize) Curve 43 has zero arclength but is not a point_curve.” One of the fuel pellets has an extra vertex and curve within it that doesn’t exist when I create the mesh using a journal file. It will only appear after I export the mesh and then import back into Cubit.

Mesh Issue

I am using the educational version, and my mesh has a total of 9,100 elements. I believe that something is happening during the export process, but I am not entirely sure what that is or how to fix it.

It’s likely that your “reimport” of the Exodus mesh is creating mesh-based geometry – which utilizes Cubit’s “facet-based” CAD kernel (as opposed to the BREP-based ACIS CAD kernel).

In other words, I believe that this isn’t actually present in your mesh (nor indicative of a mesh flaw) and is merely a “reprocessing” warning.

I would re-run your journal file to see the mesh in its “as will be exported” state. Then you can do things like check the quality of your mesh (see docs here).

As far as your issue regarding BISON goes, I’d encourage you to also seek help from the MOOSE community: Discussions · idaholab/moose · GitHub (For the future reader, BISON is a MOOSE App)

Myself not being familiar with all the physics included in BISON it’s hard for me to tell whether the issue is your mesh (though it looks pretty good to me), or due to issues in your BISON input file.