Coreform Cubit Gui fails to start with Dependent Library Error

Coreform Cubit Version: 2021.5
Platform: CentOS 7.8.2003

Installed Coreform Cubit on a C7 box with remote license and encountered this error when I tried to start the software.

ERROR: Unable to load dependent library /tmp/Coreform-Cubit-2021.5/bin/./libgcc_s.so.1
Message:/tmp/Coreform-Cubit-2021.5/bin/./libQt5QmlModels.so.5: symbol _ZTIN3QV428ObjectOwnPropertyKeyIteratorE, version Qt_5_PRIVATE_API not defined in file libQt5Qml.so.5 with link time reference

I turned the debug up and got an strace:

debug_cubit.txt (2.4 MB)

I have verified that all the software listed on the pre-requisites is installed. Additionally, launching with -nographics works exactly as expected.

What should I check?

Thanks guys

I’m not seeing anything in the strace about a /tmp/Coreform-Cubit-2021.5 folder, is that an older error message? Everything in the strace is in /apps.

yes. I’ve tried installing in a couple different folder and gotten the same error.

/apps is where my applications usually live.

/tmp was a test to see if it was a location issue.

/apps/cubit-2021.5/Coreform-Cubit-2021.5/ == /tmp/Coreform-Cubit-2021.5/

Do you have any other Qt installations in PATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

I have tried a few ways.

With only Base OS qt:

echo $PATH
/apps/cubit-2021.5/Coreform-Cubit-2021.5/bin:/apps/cubit-2021.5/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/apps/sbin:/apps/bin:/opt/slurm/bin

with qt5 loaded as a separate application:

echo $PATH
/apps/qt-5.12.1/QT/Tools/QtCreator/bin:/apps/qt-5.12.1/QT/5.12.1/gcc_64/bin:/apps/cubit-2021.5/Coreform-Cubit-2021.5/bin:/apps/cubit-2021.5/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/apps/sbin:/apps/bin:/opt/slurm/bin

with no qt at all:

$ echo $PATH
/apps/cubit-2021.5/Coreform-Cubit-2021.5/bin:/apps/cubit-2021.5/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/apps/sbin:/apps/bin:/opt/slurm/bin

I checked LD_LIBRARY_PATH and changed it accordingly with each test.

Coreform Cubit is designed to be loaded with no system Qt at all. It may be that some existing Qt configuration you have in your ~/.config folder or something similar is causing conflicts.

find ~/ -name *qt* has no results.

$ echo $PATH
/apps/cubit-2021.5/Coreform-Cubit-2021.5/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/apps/bin:/opt/slurm/bin:/home/jhrogers/bin

$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/apps/cubit-2021.5/Coreform-Cubit-2021.5/lib:/lib64:/usr/lib64:/lib:/usr/lib:/opt/slurm/lib

super fresh reattempt, same error, one fresh debug file:

debug_cubt_2.txt (2.2 MB)

What if you run it with an empty LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

that worked. but uh. That’s kinda weird isn’t it? I can’t think of a scenario where we would actively want LD_LIBRARY_PATH to be unset before running software…

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a way to hack the library loader and force it to load libraries from certain directories ahead of others, ignoring things like rpath and PATH. It should be blank in most cases unless a certain application requires it. See https://www.hpc.dtu.dk/?page_id=1180 for more information.
Glad that worked!