Continuum mesh refinement in a fractured domain

Hi every one,

I am working with a complex fracture network in a mining system, and I need to create a conforming mesh for my geometry which is a large-scale mine.
I would like to use your Cubit to mesh my geometry. I am using Coreform Cubit (student license) right now and I am quite new to it.
My problem:
I have tens of multiple-sized fractures intersecting in the domain, I would like to create a conforming mesh and then solve the Elastic Wave equation which is developed on my own in Python.

I have a predefined hexahedral mesh over my geometry with size l * l * l, I want to detect the elements which are intersected by cracks and refine them, the exact thing that has been done in this published paper : “Upscaled discrete fracture matrix model (UDFM): an octree-refined continuum representation of fractured porous media”, the only consideration I need to make is that I want my original mesh to stay at l * l * l size away from the cracks. In other words, just disturb it locally if only I have to (around the cracks).

I was wondering if I could do such a thing using Cubit and then get the element list and node list to use in my developed code in Python?

Thanks for your time in advance, really appreciate it

Atefeh