CGNS export hex27

Are there any plans to support writing HEX27 elements in cgns format?

We currently do not have it on the development schedule, but I will add it. Thank you for the request.

1 Like

I would really like to see improved higher order, multi-zone, surface and interface support in the CGNS exporter! At the moment only one zone/block with linear elements can be exported.

I would really appreciate the CGNS export feature, since CGNS support in Siemens STARCCM+ has improved tremendously in the last few years. But they still lack a good second order mesher for FEM problems. This is where Cubit could step in!

Also openCFS and Simetris NACS can natively import CGNS. And so can Gmsh and ParaView.

The screenshots below are for Trelis 16.2 from around 2017. But the situation is still the same in 2022!

Trying to export more than one block with linear elements will result in a crash.

Trying to export higher order elements will result in an error message.

Here is a ZIP file containing the test files, I used: hybrid_mesh_dataset.zip (2.2 MB)

2 Likes

We have now two requests for improved CGNS support. This has been low on our priority list because we have had very few requests for additional support. I will create a development request for improved CGNS support.

Thanks,
Karl