Block command for 2D quadratic mesh

Hello,

I am using Coreform Cubit 2020.2 in Windows 10.
I have a question regarding the block command for a 2D mesh. I have a 2D quadratic mesh. I want to put some of the mesh elements into a separate block to be able to specify a different material and etc. when I try the block command with quad as the mesh element type I get an error saying “quad : is not a valid option for a block command please check the command syntax”.

Could you please tell me the correct syntax for the block command for quadratic mesh elements?

Thank you in advance.
A

https://coreform.com/cubit_help/cubithelp.htm#t=finite_element_model%2Fexodus%2Fblock_specification.htm

Would you mind sharing the specific commands you are using?
Are you able to use QUAD4 as the element type?
Have you tried populating the block from the GUI? I ask because the GUI will provide the exact, valid command syntax. Maybe using the GUI will provide additional insight for you.

The command I use in my python code is : cubit.cmd(“delete block all”) and then cubit.cmd("block 1 quad 1500 1501 "). I tried this command with QUAD4 as well but it did not work.

I actually thought about doing it in GUI to get the related command but I did not know how to do that from the GUI.

From the GUI I see we would create the block in two steps:

1. block 1 add face 1500 1501
  2. block 1 element type quad

In other words, Cubit wants to use “face” when creating the block. Then in a separate step set the element type on the block.

Thank you so much for the explanations and the suggested commands. They worked perfectly.