Trouble starting Coreform Cubit

Hello,

i have installed Coreform Cubit on my system.
First i had trouble with some libraries but I could fix that by acquiring some packages.

Now when I am trying to start it I get the following message:

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin “xcb” in “” even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, webgl, xcb.

Aborted

I tried then starting Ubuntu with Wayland but I always get the same error.

Is there a way to fix this?

Kind regards,
Gerald

Hi Gerald, we’re sorry you’ve run into issues with installation. This error means there’s some kind of problem with your GUI setup, either that you have a different version of Qt installed on your system or you’re missing some required GUI packages. Please make sure you have these packages installed:
libx11-6
libxt6
libgl1 (If graphics driver is not already installed)
libglu1-mesa (If graphics driver is not already installed)
libgl1-mesa-glx (If graphics driver is not already installed)
libxcb-icccm4
libxcb-image0
libxcb-keysyms1
libxcb-render-util0
libxkbcommon-x11-0
libxcb-randr0
libxcb-xinerama0
You most likely already have these packages installed. If none of those packages fixes the issue, then please take a system call log using strace like this: strace -o debug_cubit.txt ./coreform_cubit. Please attach debug_cubit.txt here and we’ll take a look at it.

Hi Scot,

thank you very much. Indeed i was missing some of these packages on my system.
I installed the missing packages simply via apt and now it works.

Thank you a lot!

What may be of interest to you or other users, I also managed to get it to run on Debian, for that I had to borrow the build-essential package from the unstable repository and then install the missing packages from your list. That approach is of course not very stable, but if you only have debian available its a possible way.

Have a nice day!

Thanks for posting this error and solution, saved me lots of time.

I just installed Ubuntu 20.04 with Coreform-Cubit-2021.4-Lin64.deb and found that these additional packages were needed.

In my case just these two were missing

sudo apt-get install libx11-6
sudo apt-get install libxcb-xinerama0

2 Likes

Hello,

I am facing the same problem but after depackaging the Coreform-Cubit-2021.5+15962_5043ef39-Lin64.deb file, I have checked for the aforementioned packages and all are installed. Can you enable ‘new users’ to attach files because I seem to be unable to upload files here.

Thanks,
Nikos.

@Nikos You can email the generated log from strace to support@coreform.com.

Just came accross this problem when trying to install cubit 15.5 and latest build version (Coreform-Cubit-2021.5+15962_5043ef39-Lin64.deb) on windows (WSL 2 Ubuntu 20.04). Attached is the debug output, it looks like the qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load is the problem.

debug_cubit.txt.csv (461.0 KB)

@jshimwell That’s a generic error that means that Qt can’t initialize. I’m not seeing anything obvious in the strace like a missing library. Microsoft doesn’t officially support GUI applications on WSL 2 yet, so unless you’ve already got GUI applications working using X forwarding or a preview version of Windows it’s unlikely to work. You can check that Cubit installed correctly by running it like this: coreform_cubit -nographics -prompt Cubit. That should load you up into a Cubit command prompt.

Thanks Scot, it runs in no graphics mode. I’m looking forward to the upcoming WSLg release by Microsoft in the future to solve all these sorts of problems.